How long does a latex mattress last?
Find out why latex mattresses are supremely durable
When you’re shopping for a mattress, there’s plenty of features you should look for. Support and comfort reign supreme, but one thing is often overlooked — ventilation.
If you have a mattress with good ventilation and breathability, you won’t need to replace it any time soon. But why is this so important? Let’s take a look.
At Sleep Republic, we’ve perfected our mattresses. We’ve combined maximum high definition pocket springs with comfort, including a natural latex layer which also helps regulate your body temperature.
How long does a latex mattress last?
The lifespan of a mattress depends on a few factors. It needs a supportive bed base, and the user needs to take proper care of it to ensure it remains comfortable and support for the years to come. Other factors which can influence the longevity of the bed include:
- The user’s weight and size
- The number of springs in the mattress
- The quality of latex
If you have a mattress made with premium latex, and you ensure you follow the care instructions, you can use it for up to 20 years without compromising comfort or support.
Why is latex a good material for a mattress?
Latex is not just breathable and durable — it’s also comfortable. Mattresses made with latex comfort layers suit all kinds of sleepers, including:
- Side sleepers: It will conform to your figure like memory foam.
- Couples: It reduces motion transfer so if your partner tosses and turns, you won’t be disturbed.
- Back sleepers: It’s firm enough to support those who like to lie on their back at night.
It provides pain and pressure relief for anyone suffering from back or shoulder pain, especially when paired with other supportive layers like high definition pocket springs.
How often do I need to replace a latex mattress?
Your latex mattress (or hybrid mattress) should last you up to 20 years or more. The lifespan of your mattress will increase or decrease, based on which other materials are included in your mattress. For instance, if you choose a mattress with a pocket spring foundation and memory foam, your mattress will last even longer.
How to tell when you need to replace your mattress
- You’re waking up in pain: Your mattress is subject to natural wear and tear, depending on how often it is used. If you start to experience back pain (where you’d never had back pain before), it could be a sign your mattress is no longer as supportive as it once was.
- You notice lumps and bumps in your mattress: If you find dips or lumps in your mattress, it means it’s elasticity and support has deteriorated over time.
- It’s making you wheeze: Some people, especially those with allergies, may experience wheeziness when they sleep on an old mattress which needs replacing. This is because dust builds up in mattresses, alongside dead skin cells and potential bacteria.
How do I take care of a natural latex mattress?
To get the most out of your mattress, you should always follow the manufacturer’s care instructions. Usually, these will include directions to:
- Rotate your mattress top to bottom every six months: This ensures body pressure is spread evenly throughout the mattress.
- Use a mattress cover: This acts as another layer of protection, so no spills will reach the mattress itself.
- Avoid uncovered exposure to the sun: When you wash the sheets and mattress cover, you should lay a blanket over your mattress. Natural latex can break down when exposed to direct sunlight for long periods of time.
- Let your mattress breathe: Sure, it’s already well-ventilated, but for maximum longevity, you need to use a slatted bed base so air can circulate.
Why choose Sleep Republic
At Sleep Republic, we’ve conducted extensive research to work out how to create the perfect hybrid mattress. By combining a foundation of high definition pocket springs (up to 2250 in one king size mattress) with comfort layers, our product is the best on the market. When you sleep on a Sleep Republic mattress, you’ll be sleeping on materials such as:
- Cashmere knitted fabric for supreme comfort
- Gel-infused memory foam which contours to the body, providing pressure relief
- Natural latex to regulate airflow and body temperature
- 3D space fabric which knits different fibres together to further enhance airflow
- Dynamic edge support to prevent sleepers from falling off the bed